| ||||||||||||
| ||||||||||||
| Senate Majority Leader David Senjem Statement on Governor Dayton's Supplemental Budget | ||||||||||||
St. Paul- Governor Mark Dayton released a $60 million supplemental budget Monday. Senate Majority Leader David Senjem (R-Rochester) gave the following statement in response to the Governor’s proposal to increase expenditures and taxes.
“Governor Dayton’s supplemental budget is a surprise and a shock,” said Senate Majority Leader Senjem. “We have managed Minnesota’s budget well in the past year from a $5 billion budget deficit to over a $1 billion surplus and the first thing the Governor wants to do is raise taxes. Embarrassing!”
The Governor’s “jobs” portion of this proposal actually costs $35 million and results in a temporary program. The bottom line is this: the Governor’s proposal is a temporary tax credit for a permanent tax increase.
In a letter last year, Joy Lindsay of the Minnesota High Tech Association Board said, “Minnesota’s foreign royalty deduction was enacted during the Perpich administration to encourage companies to invest in research and development in Minnesota which creates high-paying, high-tech jobs here.” Governor Dayton’s proposal would jeopardize thousands of technology workers’ jobs, whose average wages are much higher than the state’s average.
In addition to the permanent tax increase, the Governor is also recommending fee increases on hunting and fishing licenses.
“What we are doing is working for Minnesota,” Senate Majority Leader Senjem concluded. “I can’t believe the Governor wants to retreat to raising taxes with the surplus just announced.”
###